Sunday 24 November 2013

I've Learnt How to be a Woman.


Every time I've turned my laptop on over the past few weeks, I've noticed that my blog has been looking at me very sternly.

"We haven't spoken in almost two months, Eilidh."

"I know... I've been busy..."

"Don't you love me anymore?"






I could give a mixture of excuses but the truth is, I've been so bogged down in other work that it's been difficult to breathe sometimes, let alone write a blog post. But today I actually found myself with something to say, so I just made myself sit and write it.

Firstly, I have to say thank you. I've nearly reached 4000 views with this blog now - a number too big to put down to my mum rereading everything I've written, and my flatmates reading it out of pity. At a glance, I now have readers from all over the world, and I just wanted to say thanks. What started out as just a little thing has made me feel quite special. 




I also wanted to write a blog post because I just finished reading Caitlin Moran's brilliant book "How to be a Woman". 




I started it on Friday and couldn't put it down. Her humour is brilliant and she has such a unique view on the way things are, I felt compelled to keep reading. I had to know what she thought about six-inch heels. I needed her opinion on how to break into a competitive industry. She told me all about her cringey times as a teenager, her horrible boyfriend and her nightmare wedding. 

Most of all, I'm pleased to have learnt it is perfectly acceptable to name your boobs.

Why do I feel the need to buy and attempt to wear heels when I know that they are incredibly bad for you and hurt your feet so bad you feel like your toes are curling up to die? Because celebrities wear them and appear to have no trouble whatsoever. It's all an illusion that then results in me inevitably ending a night by tearing off "these damn shoes" as fast as I can. But Moran pats me on the shoulder and tells me she can't wear heels either. In fact they hurt like hell. It's okay. My pinkie toe may no longer be crushed. Black biker boots and Converse are definitely the way forward.




Initially I was a little nervous about entering the feminist arena. I was armed only with a pretty threadbare knowledge of it, and didn't want to seem like an idiot. But it only took several sentences for me to realise that she wasn't talking to women who have dedicated their lives to the feminist cause - she was talking to women like me. 


I have to be honest and say I included this for the T-shirt...
She's unafraid to approach what are still even now 'taboo' subjects, like abortion, not wanting kids and not wanting to have a big, expensive wedding. What I could relate to the most was her break down of what feminism means to her - you do not have to hate men. What she feels everyone should aim for is a point where everyone is just polite to everyone else. It's a really simple concept, but when you boil feminism down to its bare bones, isn't that what it's about, really? Women want respect for what they do and to be on an equal standing. They don't want to own the world, they just want to have their share in it. 

I live with guys, and know that for a lot of things, I would be completely lost without them. I would hate it if they stopped being the way they were and they've never made me feel bad about the things that I can or can't do. I like that.

All in all, it was one of the best books that I've read in a really long time, and would recommend it to anyone, man or woman. I liked it enough that I've gone out and bought her book "Moranthology", which I'm looking forward to. No spoilers please!

No comments:

Post a Comment